History

The Main Library of Poznan University of Mediacal Sciences has existed since 1952. It was established on the basis of the collection of the former Library of the Medical Faculty, established in 1947. In its first location, it had an area of 456 m², and 60 seats were prepared for readers. Until 1984, the Main Library was located on one floor of the building at ul. Sieroca 10.
In 1952, the library network consisted of the Main Library and 42 departmental libraries. In the years 1971-1974, organizational changes took place in the library network. At that time, 10 branch libraries were established. These were institutions established on the basis of several departmental and clinical libraries. In addition to the branches, there were 1979 departmental libraries until 21. In the following years, the library network was further reorganized. Most of the branch libraries were transformed into institute libraries, and faculty libraries were also established: the Faculty of Pharmacy and the Faculty of Health Sciences.In later years, it was decided to centralize the book collection in the Main Library, and the departmental and institutional libraries were gradually liquidated.
Since 1985, the Library has operated in its own premises at ul. Parkowa 2. In the adapted, historical building, the Library operated on an area of 1400 m2, and thanks to funding from the LIBRARIUS program and subsequent stages of expansion, it increased its space by an additional 300 m². In 1989, the computerization of the facility began with the introduction of electronic sources of information in the form of the Medline database (published on CD-ROM), on one computer station. In 1992, a local network was established in the Library, and in 1994, the Sowa system was introduced to process library collections. Since 1995, the facility has been equipped with fiber optic connections. The year 1996 was the beginning of the Library's presence on the Internet, the first website among medical libraries in Poland was made available. In 1997-1998, the collections were converted from the Sowa system to the integrated Horizon system.
In 2010, the Main Library moved to the new building of the Library-Congress Centre at ul. Przybyszewskiego 37a. In the modern building, specially designed for the needs of the Library, an area of 6284 m² was made available to readers and employees. The facility occupies three floors and has revolutionised the previous perception and functions of the library. In addition to standard facilities such as reading rooms and a lending library, users were provided with collective work rooms, individual work cabins, and a modern lecture hall. An electronic collection security system was also introduced.
Directors of the Main Library:
Jan Walinski
(Director in the years: 1952-1977)
Boleslaw Howorka
(Director in the years: 1977-1998)
Aniela Piotrowicz
(Director in the years: 1998-2014)
Roma Hajduk
(Acting Director in the years: 2014-2020)
Magdalena Kotlarek-Naskręt
(Director in the years: 2020 – present)